Joining our Toastmasters club will help you develop the skills you need to become a better public speaker, communicator and leader.
Our club is a group of ordinary people with the desire to improve their public speaking skills. No one is a ‘professional’, however our experienced members have developed their skills and give very high quality speeches that we all can learn from and once a member you will find yourself critiquing professional speakers against members from the club.
In fact it isn’t just our experienced members who give great speeches. Our Toastmasters Club near London Victoria has an incredible track record of developing people who initially consider themselves in need of improvement, in to great speakers very quickly. One of the best things about being a member is that everyone learns from each other, whatever stage they are at.
Normally, non-members follow the following process before becoming members:
- Enquire via our website contact page about the club and meetings
- Come along to a meeting and observe how it works
- Visit our Toastmasters Club in Westminster another 1 or 2 times
- Get the feeling that the club is the right environment for you
- Respond to the club membership team requesting to join
- Provide your details and get signed up on our online system
- Choose a mentor from the club membership and start planning speeches
- Attend meetings regularly as a member and take part as much as possible
- Plan, practice, re-assess themselves. Then plan, practice and re-assess again
- Get involved in the clubs social events and even the running of the club
- Become a great presenter, communicator and leader
Whether you want to achieve this for your work or personal life. Becoming a member will provide you a structured, internationally recognised learning plan and supportive environment to become a highly competent communicator and leader.
There is a membership fee, as we are a club not an organisation the fee pays for the club to operate the meetings which includes paying for the venue in London Westminster, acquiring equipment to help the meetings run smoothly and club subscriptions to Toastmasters International.
Each membership fee also includes personal registration with Toastmasters International so you can follow the internationally recognised educational programs they provide, have access to their material and be involved in the wider Toastmaster community with all the opportunities that offers.
How long will it take before I am a good speaker?
Joining a Toastmasters club is not a quick fix. Most of our members join for the long term because this is a skill that, to be effective must be developed and practiced regularly. We often have people join our Toastmasters Club near Victoria who previously went to a one day course and have forgotten everything.
You should see an improvement every time you give a speech or take part in the meeting roles. There are nearly 200 speech slots a year and over 500 smaller speaking opportunities so you can go as quickly or slowly as you desire.
Another tip for members is to visit as often as possible and learn from the speakers on the night. You can learn a lot from observing and evaluating other peoples speeches with a view to incorporate techniques in to your own speeches.